Thursday 5 February 2009

Today I have been mostly... teaching

My second week teaching BTech graphics students at TyneMet college. Typography was the order of the day and they seemed surprised that they were expected to input, discuss and question instead of just sit and draw stuff and talk to each other. Yes.... we're heading for early June says I, and your Final Major Project (I discover this is referred to as FMP) looms large and you have to work at stuff in order to get anywhere with it. Last week I slipped in a quote from Henry Ford - no, not the one about any colour as long as its black - but 'Whether you think you can or you can't you're absolutely right' Not sure if they quite 'got' it but time will tell. Today I was talking to them about type designers and sent them on their way with the name of a designer to go and 'discover'. No doubt Google will bear the brunt of their research, but I suppose that's better than nothing. One element of the teaching was about Johannes Gutenberg and his invention of printing from moveable type. As I reflected afterwards it was learning about the man some forty four years ago which partly inspired me to head down the typographic route. That, and my inspirational lecturer Les Baillie, who seemed to interject every lecture with "you've got to eat, sleep and drink it laddie!" How right he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment