Tuesday 14 April 2009

Whitleybunions #6 Bank Holiday Bike Trip

Bren was working yesterday, so it was a solo bike trip for me. The gardening was enticing, but hey.... priorities eh? I've done this trip a few times and it is also a bit of a trip down memory lane as you will see.Down through the fields from our house to Seghill then on past Proctor & Gamble at Seaton Delaval, emerging at Holywell village and entering Holywell Dene. This was a magical, unspoilt playground when I was a boy; a place to explore, find bird's nests and generally get up to all kinds of mischief.
Me and my pals could walk all the way along the railway line from Monkseaton to Blyth. The 'Blyther' as the train was known, would come rattling and puffing its steamy way along this track, where we would be lying in wait having placed pennies on the line. If the driver or fireman saw you there was a shower of boiling water coming your way, but we were far too clever to be caught out like that! Nowadays this line is a lovely green walkway for the posh people of Whitley Lodge and Red House Farm Estates.
The track comes out almost opposite my old school.... Valley Gardens. From here you can see the art rooms where I spent most of my last year, trying to fill my portfolio with enough decent stuff to get into Newcastle College of Art. Between Valley Gardens and the High School there's a track and two solitary trees. This track used to lead to Red House Farm, where Bren kept her pony, Rapide, when I first knew her.
Then on down Monkseaton Drive, which was waste ground known as 'The Common' when I was a kid. Out onto the Promenade, find a nice place to sit with a lovely view of Whitley Bay while I have my lunch.
Then back on the bike and on towards the lighthouse - another place of great adventures from my childhood. Then the long haul up towards the Delaval Arms and back into the bottom end of Holywell Dene, (it was nice to bump into the Riley family going the other way!) Finally completing the circuit before returning back home. What a fabulous trip!

4 comments:

  1. Out on yer bike, warm fluffy feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great adventure...hope you had 'big thoughts' (or at least a pint)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds idyllic! How long did it take you? Not sure I could ride a bike any more, it's been more years than I care to count!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al- Yes... you inspired me with your tales, and the sight of you on that Swedish post-bike!

    Ian - Big thoughts yes! main thought currently is what area to research for the MA.

    Liz - It took about 45 mins to get down to WB but getting back took a LOT longer! I did a quite a bit of 'dawdling' and 'resting'. :0)

    ReplyDelete