Sunday 30 August 2009

A Prayer for Owen Meany

While we were away last week I finished reading 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. I'm no great shakes at reviews, unlike this guy, but it has been some time since a read a book which delighted, stimulated and challenged me as much as this one did. The author, John Irving, has written a number of books, including 'The World according to Garp' and 'The Cider House Rules'. This book takes us through the life and times of the title character, along with his best friend John.

Here are the opening lines of the book, which while not giving too much away will almost outline the whole book both at the same time!... "I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God. I am a Christian because of Owen Meany..."

Let me say that this is not a religious book, as you might imagine from reading that sentence, but it does make reference to the writer's faith, and that of Owen Meany. It is simply a life story about the possibilities for doing good in the world, as opposed to doing bad. There is a neat element of fantasy to the story which keeps you guessing right down the line, with the plot and characters also wonderfully engaging. One of the things I really loved was the occasional timeline references to chapters in recent history which I could identify with, particularly news headlines and references to the sixties; Kennedy's, Vietnam, Civil Rights movement etc. I can thoroughly recommend this book and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

1 comment: