Sunday 25 September 2011

Foundation Degree in Calligraphy / week #2


This week we have been developing our skills with the Roman Capitals (monoline). That is, skeleton letters that follow the classical lines of the Roman inscription on The Trajan Collumn in Rome. Exercises throughout the two days in constructing the geometric letters at different heights, learning about the various widths/groupings of the alphabet, and then going on to word spacing and 'balance' of a specimen piece of writing, using the skeleton letters.A steady hand is required, as well as an increasing awareness of how the letters are constructed, and how they 'work'. These letters are like old friends to me, but they can still catch one out, with subtle differences in width and proportion. Homework involves plenty of practise, and working up final pieces to the standard required for the first course assignment.

On the second day a visit from course leader Professor Ewan Clayton, who introduced us all to the intriguing history, properties and applications of Japanese Sumi ink. Ewan pretty much knows all there is to know about not only this, but many other calligraphic and typographic wonders. We listened intently as he shared the finer points with us, then proceeded to demonstrate the ink, before allowing us to also try it out.

Throughout the days of the course I'm taking notes in a small notebook. I'll then be writing up a fuller version into my research book, one of the assignment elements for which my work will be marked. Here's a snapshot of my notes on the geometric construction of the monoline Roman Capitals.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff Tim. Would love to see the results of your trial with Sumi ink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this all endlessly fascinating Tim. Could read about it all night.am seriously thinking of taking a short course in calligraphy at West Dean College after we move down that way! Been a calligraphy " dabbler" but never really got beyond nice lettering in book inscriptions and cards. Well done it all looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue...the courses at West Dean are very good I believe. Before you book, let me know, because there are tutors that I could recommend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allid. Thanks for looking in. I only had chance to make a very short test with the Sumi. I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

    ReplyDelete