Sunday 23 October 2011

Foundation Degree in Calligraphy / week #6

During this past week we've been working more on the Roman Capitals and preparing our pieces for the assignment. I chose the verse that I wanted and began at home to layout the page and begin the writing. I worked in pencil on layout sheets to establish the line breaks and spacing, and also spent quite a bit of time actually practising the letters with the pen.
Plenty of time this week during our classes to see what each other has been doing with their Roman Capitals assignment piece. Class critiques help us to affirm our approach to the layout and spacing.
The other thing we've been learning is how to analyse a historical script. In this case we were using pages from the 'The Ramsey Psalter'. The analysis helps us to understand how the original scribe actually wrote the letters, and we can research the pen angle, nib width, spacing etc. We can even decide the 'speed' of the writing and make a judgement about the style of the script.

3 comments:

  1. Nice caps Tim. Hope you have had a nice week's break during assessment week and that the first years can one day meet the second year students. Must be good with only a handful of students - we thought we were a small group.
    Thanks for the comment on my blog - it was my New Year's resolution to keep it updated, but it was only yesterday that I sat down to do this - your comment gave me a nudge to try to get it back together.
    Good luck with term 2 - Hazel's class has probably been one of the most useful for me.
    Kind regards
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comment Tamara! It would be great if 1st and 2nd years could hook up at some point. Actually I think we ARE together for a class with Ann Hechle in January! Really looking forward to Hazels sessions too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so beautiful, very classic and attractive. I like it a lot. I have started to learn calligraphy for months, and Roman letters are my favorite to write all the time.

    ReplyDelete