Saturday 31 January 2009

Human Error Strikes Internet Shock!

This morning Bren was using Google to search for an Arts & Music Centre, and called me into the office to tell me that her search results were listed as harmful to her computer, and what was wrong and what was I going to do to put it right. Adopting my 'keep calm and carry on' pose, I took one look at the screen and admitted that I hadn't a clue what was happening, and that anyway it was all the interweb's fault. This afternoon it became apparent what had happened... Google's search service had been hit by technical problems, and all searches resulted in a 'This site may harm your computer' notice.

Google attributed the fault to human error and said most users were affected for about 40 minutes. "What happened? Very simply, human error," wrote Marissa Mayer, vice president, search products and user experience, on the Official Google Blog.

So we couldn't blame this one on the economic downturn, employing foreign workers or even Joe Kinnear. The problem was simply down to human error in the internet factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment